Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Miniseries #010: Reno Re-Visited 02



Note: The title in the video is mislabeled, this is lesson 2


Hi All,
First let me say I made a verbal mistake in this video. In the beginning, when working the scale descending, I said T,I,M when I should have said T,I,T then M,I,T.
I dont know if you caught that or not, but I just want to correct that.

Continuing with this F major scale, I like to think about descending scales/passages as using backward rolls when approaching three notes on one string. It is the opposite of the ascending/forward roll concept.

As you probably know by now, there are alot of ways to approach scales on the banjo fingerboard. We can play scales and passages in many ways. In this video you can see another way to play the F scale. This is a very linear approach. Since we have three fingers to pick with our right hand, we will pick three notes per string. Also within this linear thinking, we will play a forward roll,"T-I-M" ascending, and a backward roll,"M-I-T" descending, when approaching three notes per string. I would like to say again, that this is "my" way of thinking about the fingerboard. I can only hope that it may help you. I'm not saying my way is the best way, it is only "a" way.

I am going to continue to build on previous lessons, so If you've been following the lessons, I'm sure you're already familiar with the terms modes and harmonizations. If you need refreshing , you can simply go back and review them. You can always ask me a question as well. I'm open to any questions, and will answer them the best I can. The main thing I want to get across in this video is the concept of mixing Thumb/index and forward/backward rolls on one string for some of these ideas.

Keep it going all.
David

No comments:

Post a Comment